Evant ISD is committed to guaranteeing the education of students in need. As a part of the McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act, EISD ensures the educational rights and protections for children and youth experiencing homelessness.
Homelessness is defined as:
- lacking a fixed, regular, and adequate nighttime residence
- children and youth who are sharing the housing of other persons due to loss of housing, economic hardship, or similar reasons
- children or youth living in motels, hotels, trailer parks, or camping grounds due to the lack of alternative accommodations
- children or youth who have a primary nighttime residence that is a public or private place not designed for or ordinarily used as regular sleeping accommodation for human beings;
- children who are living in emergency or transitional shelters
- children who are abandoned in hospitals
- children who are are awaiting foster care placement
- children or youth living in cars, parks, public spaces, abandoned buildings, substandard housing, bus or train stations, or similar settings.
Resources for Local Homeless Students: